4.15.2013

april fifteen

The Lorax
This week we are concluding our unit on The Lorax. It was my first time reading this book and I have to say that I absolutely fell in love with it. I was already such a huge admirer of Dr. Seuss' work. I find it fascinating to see how he turn fundamental content into a fun and exciting book for children to read. Starting a unit on recycling and conservation was not as easy as I thought it would be. The concept has large vocabulary for second grade and it was often times difficult for students to understand how they could make a difference.

I say it often (even though I probably shouldn't) but ELA isn't my favorite subject to teach. Often times I find myself bored with the content and having trouble getting the meaning and understanding across to all levels of students. But, for the first time, during the Lorax unit, I felt like all of my students were understanding, engaged and excited about what we were learning.


The most fun for the students was getting to read the book, the play and watch the movie while wearing their mustaches. I loved how much they got into character and applied everything we had previously learned about emotion and characters' feelings.

As we are walking to lunch- "I am really glad you don't bring your lunch in a plastic bag anymore. That was harming the environment." I guess that's what I get for teaching my students to be eco-friendly.

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not. - The Lorax

Let it grow, let it grow. You can't reap what you don't sow. - The Lorax (movie)

No comments:

Post a Comment